Website Builder

General discussions
Mongo

Website Builder

Post by Mongo »

Any one use any good free website building software? looking for full window templates etc.
DeUltimaPunisher

Re: Website Builder

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

Have you tried building a site with Wordpress yet? If you're talking local software, I do use Adobe Dreamweaver for some stuff, but I think Wordpress is the way to go now a days. A lot of major sites use Wordpress: Ebay, Yahoo, Ford, Sony, Samsung, Mozilla & CNN just to name a few. It has a quick learning curve to boot, just watch a couple tutorials on youtube and you will never look back.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Wordpress seems to be forum based. I have played with it but I don't like it very much.
DeUltimaPunisher

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

Mongo wrote:Wordpress seems to be forum based. I have played with it but I don't like it very much.
No, WordPress is "blog" based. But you can easily turn off those feature and just build a basic site with the right theme. So basically you install the WordPress core, most web host providers have an auto-installer, then you find the theme that suites the type of site you want to build, and there are tons of free ones, then you customize it from there. It makes building a site too easy.

It took me almost 2 months to learn Adobe Dreamweaver, Joomla took a few weeks to get the hang of, but I was building a WordPress site within a couple of hours of deciding to play with it for fun a few weeks ago. Honestly I can't believe I didn't give it a try sooner.

I guess it really depends on the type of site you're trying to create. If you're just trying to build a simple business site or blog and you can find the right theme and extensions to provide the functionality you're looking for then you should go with WordPress. If you need a website with "complex" functionality then Joomla becomes a better option, but once again only if you can find right theme and extensions. If you can't then find what you're looking for, you would consider alternatives like getting dirty and building a site the old fashioned way with something like Adobe Dreamweaver, but it does take a couple months to get the hang of it and let's not forget the fact you need to know some programming languages like HTML, Java and PHP.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I will try it again. I will have to find the options to turn off the forums. A lot of the templates I found were not full browser view. Now I need to time to monkey with it. :D