Video card recommendations

Discuss issues or anything you need help with here. Please keep it computer/game related.
Ruin

Video card recommendations

Postby Ruin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:33 pm

:obscene-sexualvlick: :obscene-sexualvlick: My video card is on the way out. Only one of the two fans are running, and things are slowing down. I have a AMD Radeon™ HD 7850. I'm looking for something around $200. :obscene-drinkingcheers: :text-thankyoublue:
Johnny Tapia

Re: Video card recommendations

Postby Johnny Tapia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 pm

I don't really know shit about video cards, hopefully someone else can chip in here!
SEMPER FIDELIS!

bmh

Postby bmh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:38 am

It would help to know what motherboard you are using. Most newer cards wont work with Legacy BIOS. You must have UEFI. Power supply wattage is important too. Some cards draw a ridiculous amount compared to others. Let's see those specs!
I die a lot!

Ruin

Postby Ruin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:28 pm

windows 10
64 bit
AMD FX-6350 Six Core
8 GB Ram

no video card :mrgreen:
BaDiTuP

Postby BaDiTuP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:38 pm

I got my son an nVidia 1050 - kinda the "budget" nVidia cards from the newest generation. It's not a bad card, plays DoD:S on full everything pretty damn well, lol. and it plays all his new games just fine! and we don't use UEFI here.... only legacy BIOS. until they finally kill THAT off, anyway!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF7EQJZ

that video card doesn't even take PCI-e power so it's super efficient on power which is good cuz your CPU is a BIT of a power hog, lol.

Also, with the remaining $30-ish, get yourself some more RAM!

https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Signatur ... 1253504011

ok, that's $48.... but man, 8GB RAM is too little nowadays! Hope any of this helps! :)
BaDiTuP

Postby BaDiTuP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:39 pm

ah, also, I'd say you'd probably want to have at least a 550W power supply for that vidcard.... just to be safe
CanisFamiliaris

Postby CanisFamiliaris » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:34 am

For the sub-200 market there is the 1050, 1060 and RX480 cards. The 1050 is a waste IMO, but the 1060 and RX480 are good lower end cards, and will give a good performance upgrade from the 78xx you had. I personally went with a 1070 OC edition, replacing a 7880, and have been very happy.

During my research though, the RX480 looked good for the price point, as the 1060 didn't have much specs out there. As soon as the 10x0 cards hit the market though, the 1060 was a better card. You can always look at the spec on gpuboss.com to compare.
Anthony
aka CanisFamiliaris
If you ain't dying, you ain't trying

Main
Streaming w/Epiphan Card
bmh

Postby bmh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Tried a Sapphire RX480 on my AM3 board with Legacy BIOS and it didn't work. Contacted Sapphire and they said that support was dropped for Legacy BIOS after the R9 series.

EVGA says that the 1050 Ti doesn't work with Legacy BIOS either though some older motherboards uses a weird hybrid-BIOS system and they MIGHT work but they wouldn't say what motherboards those were. Mine doesn't have this hybrid-BIOS so I won't waste my money trying. One MSI 750Ti TF model still supports Legacy. MSI actually put a switch on the card for whichever setup you need. Several user reviews of the 750 Ti TF thank MSI for remembering those of us with old computers who have the same problems as I do. When I added this to my wish list just a couple of months ago it was about $40 cheaper. I have since found new ones on eBay for around the original Amazon price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I602S92/_e ... WGXSAX99MS

It's not a "powerful" card in today's terms but it is way better than the HD6850 I used to run and has 2GB RAM instead of the 1GB my 6850 had and has pretty good reviews.

What's weird is that ASRock claims a RX480 will work on my board but their Reddit, Tom's Hardware ASRock forum, and their own forums say otherwise. My board hasn't been made in almost 6 years so I really doubt that ASRock tested a RX480 on such an old board. It's been a confusing and disappointing few months trying to figure out which card will give me the best bang for my buck without breaking the bank or requiring a new power supply with more than what my 520W puts out or creating a bottleneck with my old CPU.

Your mileage may vary depending on your motherboard but until I hear from someone who has successfully used a newer card on the same board that I have then I won't be gambling with different video cards.

I'm running with an ASRock 870 Extreme 3 - not the R2 version with UEFI that came out a few months after I purchased this one. :angry-banghead:

That Santa Claus fucker hasn't given me anything good in years. If he's reading this post and has had a change of heart I'll take a new system please!
I die a lot!

Ruin

Postby Ruin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 am

After reading what BMH said about the Legacy bios I went with what worked before. I got what might be the only new sealed in box Radeon 7850 left in the world. Amazon only had used ones and Ebay only had one. Had. It might not have all the frills and fancys that the new cards have but it was good enough to get me in the GAME. The best game out there. :D

P.S. thanks for yous help. :text-thankyoublue:
bmh

Postby bmh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm almost afraid to ask what you paid for it.
I die a lot!

CanisFamiliaris

Postby CanisFamiliaris » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Hell, would have sold you my pulled 7880 if you wanted an older card. Only pulled it due to buying a 1070. Was just over 3-years old.
Anthony
aka CanisFamiliaris
If you ain't dying, you ain't trying

Main
Streaming w/Epiphan Card
the canadian

Postby the canadian » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:40 pm

I still owe you mine. Yes i do remember! I moved not too long after i told you i could give it to you, but i am on the way up again so in the not to distant future i can come through with my promise.

bmh

Postby bmh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:36 pm

No problem. I got a card now and am back playing again!
I die a lot!

Return to “Help!!”