Charging Laptop

Discuss issues or anything you need help with here. Please keep it computer/game related.
Frostbite

Charging Laptop

Post by Frostbite »

So the other day my laptop started saying "Plugged in, not charging" instead of charging it. It's not dying, and just holding a steady charge but not increasing it's charge. I've tried removing the adapter, restarting it, and then plugging it it. I've also tried shutting it down removing the battery for about 10 minutes, putting it back in and then starting it up. In both cases it charged for about 2 minutes and then went right back to not charging. Any ideas?
Ruin

Re: Charging Laptop

Post by Ruin »

I know nothing but have you looked at this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/225265/l ... rging.html :geek:
Frostbite

Post by Frostbite »

yeah I've looked at articles like that and tried a the whole pulling the cords and battery thing. Only thing I can think is it got hit by a surge from one of the nasty thunderstorms this weekend
DeUltimaPunisher

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

Sometimes it's the battery its self. If it's a Lithium ion battery they actually have a shelf based on the date of manufacture rather than charge times like with the old Nickel cadmium batteries.

Also the charging recommendations are opposite. With NiCad it was always recommended that you let it completely drain before charging to increase the life, but with Li-Ion batteries the opposite is the case, you don't want to let them discharge to low levels too often and to increase battery life as permanent damage may occur if stored uncharged. You should always be careful and keep these charged well; A good rule of thumb is to re-charge once you get down to about 1/2 way.

In rare cases, I've see this caused by the bios, but that's only related to new batteries being a bit different than the older model when the laptop was first released, since I assume this isn't new battery, I doubt that one.

Your power surge could have also fried the charger and/or the battery. The charger supplies it with power and that's the first thing that would get hit in a power surge. Sounds to me like this is most likely your problem.

If it is your charger, you will need to replace your motherboard, or you could manually charge your battery, but this is not for the faint of heart as it requires you to cut the tip off your adapter and pry open your battery every time. Not to mention that if you fuck up the polarity you could have exploding batteries attempting to burn your house down.
+Desert+Fox+

Post by +Desert+Fox+ »

or you could just buy a new laptop and save your self the headache...
Frostbite

Post by Frostbite »

+Desert+Fox+ wrote:or you could just buy a new laptop and save your self the headache...
it's 6 months old and was 1300 dollars, I'll try and fix it
Shakira

Post by Shakira »

what kind of notebook?
happened on my xps m1530 had to update the bios to fix the battery issue and i opted to get a new battery which is larger then the old one...

if the mobo is shot that blows....might as well send it in and get that warranty deal ;)
Frostbite

Post by Frostbite »

Late update, but finally figured it out, I had to completely uninstall the battery system and then reinstall a new system. It works great now and even lets me set the amount of charge for the battery to extend the life of it.
bmh

Post by bmh »

Awesome. Glad to see that you got it fixed.
I die a lot!

penis