VMWARE ESX server

Discuss issues or anything you need help with here. Please keep it computer/game related.
Mongo

VMWARE ESX server

Post by Mongo »

Any one here us a backup program for Esx server? if so what do you use. We have found that vRanger only backs up machines that are powered off. We need to be ale to keep the machines on and do a backup.
Esx is located on a linux server and our infastructure client/vSphere is on a seperate windows box.

Don't care if it is free or not.
BattlePig

Re: VMWARE ESX server

Post by BattlePig »

Couldnt you just take a VM snapshot? I have never restored from one but isnt that what they are for?
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

BattlePig wrote:Couldnt you just take a VM snapshot? I have never restored from one but isnt that what they are for?
nope... a snapshot takes and instance/save spot kinda thing. A backup actually backs up the whole VM. if a drive goes out and you have to restore, a backup is what you need. a snapshot wouldnt do shit if your VM is fucked.
BattlePig

Post by BattlePig »

A snapshot would work fine for you since you need the server running, but if drive failure is what your concern is then running a RAID would work would it not?
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Okay. I dont think you really understand backing up data.

snapshots converts the VM into a differencing disk and creates a parent-child relationship between the disks. Although this is a good way to retain a specific image of a VM, it is not a good way to perform virtual machine backups because it transforms the VM's disks.
time-based processes such as domain controllers are advised to use snapshots.
Any one relying on a snapshot as a backup solution should be kicked out of their company as fast as possible before they screw stuff up.
Snapshots should only be used on test envirornmnets and never production.
That is why you should have multiple backups. Software that does the backups and a redundant system to ensure hardware failures are not catastrophic.
BattlePig

Post by BattlePig »

I see what you mean. I talked to an instructor of mine, he suggests using LiveMigration or LiveFailover.

Livefailover is with 2 servers you buildup and when the main fails the backup takes over.

LiveMigration is where the 2nd server copies the main server to itself and then takes over when the main fails.

dont know if you already knew this but i thought i would at least mention it because it seems to solve your problem.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Yeah unfortunatly I am stuck with vRanger. They do have an upgrade that is suppose to fix the issues that I am having. That and we have a management contract with them. The main problem is that we have little say on what we can use. We were forced to use this setup that no one ever tested. That's the problem with working for the state. Some moron that never uses stuff listend to an outside contractor on what they need instead of people within the company.
nOeViL

Post by nOeViL »

is it full ESX or ESXi? you might be able to use VCB (native to full ESX) or Veeam ???
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

ESX
nOeViL

Post by nOeViL »

Mongo wrote:Okay. time-based processes such as domain controllers are advised to use snapshots.
Never take snapshots of Databases,specifically a DC. Only time the AD dit wont get fuxed if it is the only domain controller in the forest, but i wouldn't rely on that.

USNs get a screwed and replication breaks and your pretty screwed. I know MS doesnt support that so who ever you talked to might be confused. Even VMware says not a good idea. why take a snapshot if you cant revert to snapshot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875495
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I ment to say not advised to use snapshots.
Battle pig has this idea that snapshots are good enough for backing up VM's.