Got issue while i play DODS

Discuss issues or anything you need help with here. Please keep it computer/game related.
liujeffqi

Got issue while i play DODS

Post by liujeffqi »

it wasn't any problem before when i am using my old PC but after it fried it self i build a new PC and this problem starts it is been almost 2 month now i been searching and searching look for solution but no luck i tried reinstall the windows and all the drivers and also tried reinstall the game few times (god reinstall game though steam took 4 and half hours each time is painful)

anyway here is mine problem
my screen will freeze or skip and shakes really hard at part it freeze at once every few minutes then back to normal during that time my character in game can move everything is fine except i don't know where i was going or firing. because of it i have died like so many times due to fall of from height since i wasn't able to see, blow myself up while i was cooking nade since i throw it out prob bounce back at me while hit a wall also dead from other players since i couldn't see them while i was freeze. it annoying me by alot. it is not happening to my other regular PC games but i am not sure about steam game because this is only Steam game i got so anyone could help me this issue will be great

Here is my computer specs
OLD PC (one got fried)
CPU:AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (Fried)
MB: Asus A8N-E (Fried)
RAM: DDR PC3200 Kingston 1GBx2 512MBx2 (3GB total) (Fried)
HD: Hitachi ATA 300GBx2 (both Fried), Seagate ATA 320GBx1 Seagate SATA 320GBx1 (1.2TB total)
GPU: BFG Ge-force 9800GT GDDR3 1GB(Fried)
PSU: 350W 21A@+12V (Fried)
System: Windows 7 pro 32bit

New PC well i went cheap so entire thing cost me $240 everything except two Seagate HD are new
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II x3 435 processor 2.9GHz
MB: Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2
RAM: DDR2 PC5300 Kingston 1GBx2 (2GB total)
HD: WD 2TB SATAx1 Seagate SATA 320GBx1 Seagate ATA 320GBx1 (2.6TB total)
GPU: BFG Ge-force 9800GT GDDR3 1GB (RMA got a new one)
PSU: Corsair 400W 30A@+12V
System: Windows 7 pro 32bit

if anyone could help could be great :D
btw i am Appleseed(nosound)
Last edited by liujeffqi on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grimmy

Re: Got issue while i play DODS

Post by grimmy »

This ones all you Mongo. Try and help the kid out without ragging too hard. :lol:
"Don't SWEAT the PETTY things, and don't PET the SWEATY things"
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Jusst dont take it to the guy Grimmy uses.
I agree with Gonzo. sounds like video issue. since it doesnt happen in any other game I would alo look at your game settings. check the dod forums some one else might have ran into the same issue you have. It is hard to see exactly what it is doing unless I am looking at it.
liujeffqi

Post by liujeffqi »

well if there is any recording software i can use on DODS let me know i am willing to try to record it
i thought it might be video issue too but since my other games can run on high end setting it was fine and my old 350w PSU were able to supply the same card fine. now it is 400w with better Amp out put i thought should be better. i thought might be overheating but last night i tried. i got same thing too but my GPU temp is 68C which is normal for geforce since it idel at 61C not ram issue either since it was at 1300/2000 when i playing.
so let me know if there is software that will record my experience then i will upload on youtube so you might able to see.
DeUltimaPunisher

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

Well let's start with some basic stuff.

Did you plug your monitor into the video card directly, not the on-board video plug? I commonly see people do this thinking they are linked somehow.

Did you disable the on-board video in the bios settings? Sometimes the on-board video can conflict with your video card.

Did you download the latest drivers from Nvidia? Don't ever use the drivers on the disc, download the latest ones and update every month or so.

Did you update your bios to the latest version for the best CPU support? Your CPU might not have existed when the motherboard was first produced. Bios updates can bring better support for some CPUs.

You said your memory was at 1300/2000 ??? First which one is it? And why is it so high, are you overclocking? Some AMD CPUs don't allow for overclocking ram very well and will run into memory read errors if above their rated speeds. I would suggest you bring it back down to the rated speed for DDR2 of 1066 MHZ and keep it there.

It sounds like something is bottle necking to me, most likely your CPU or GPU. Even though you are technically using a faster CPU now, each core is a tiny bit slower than your older cores. In gaming it's all about the clock speed. You were at 3.2x2, now you're at 2.9x3. I would say turning on multi-core rendering might help spread out the load, but as of September 20th's update multi-core rendering is now on by default and no longer just an optional feature.

Have you tried running some monitoring software to watch what your CPU and GPU is doing during these pauses? It might help to point you in the right direction.
bmh

Post by bmh »

DeUltimaPunisher wrote:
Did you plug your monitor into the video card directly, not the on-board video plug? I commonly see people do this thinking they are linked somehow.
So many times... :doh:
I die a lot!

penis
liujeffqi

Post by liujeffqi »

DeUltimaPunisher wrote:Well let's start with some basic stuff.

Yes
DeUltimaPunisher wrote: Did you disable the on-board video in the bios settings? Sometimes the on-board video can conflict with your video card.
I checked there is no option in bios for it, so i guss it is auto... =.=
DeUltimaPunisher wrote: Did you download the latest drivers from Nvidia? Don't ever use the drivers on the disc, download the latest ones and update every month or so.
Yes
DeUltimaPunisher wrote: Did you update your bios to the latest version for the best CPU support? Your CPU might not have existed when the motherboard was first produced. Bios updates can bring better support for some CPUs.
Yes
DeUltimaPunisher wrote: You said your memory was at 1300/2000 ??? First which one is it? And why is it so high, are you overclocking? Some AMD CPUs don't allow for overclocking ram very well and will run into memory read errors if above their rated speeds. I would suggest you bring it back down to the rated speed for DDR2 of 1066 MHZ and keep it there.
i means i was using 1300 out of 2000 of my ram atm.
DeUltimaPunisher wrote: It sounds like something is bottle necking to me, most likely your CPU or GPU. Even though you are technically using a faster CPU now, each core is a tiny bit slower than your older cores. In gaming it's all about the clock speed. You were at 3.2x2, now you're at 2.9x3. I would say turning on multi-core rendering might help spread out the load, but as of September 20th's update multi-core rendering is now on by default and no longer just an optional feature.

Have you tried running some monitoring software to watch what your CPU and GPU is doing during these pauses? It might help to point you in the right direction.
yes i been trying using software on monitoring except i have no fps software. so not sure about fps. GPU was at 68C, which is fine for geforce since it is idel at 61C and no change during freezes and CPU's second core useage jump up during those moments.

i checked steam forum thanks Mongo mention it i never knew since i never really see it. i see a guy saying disable some internet setting using regedit. i did that
and solution is soso.. why because it does reduced my problem screen don't freeze every few min for 5-10secs now, it just shuttering for 2-5 secs but during those time i can see where i was going just can't aimwell i guss i can live with. i will try some other method when i got time.

Thanks for all your HELPS and tips.
Appleseed
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

You might want to run msconfig and disable non-vital start up programs and services. they can run in the back ground and use reaources that may be needed.
Under services check the box that says "hide all microsoft services" then go from there. thinks like java, quicktime etc. are safe to uncheck. do not uncheck anti virus software services. if you are not sure about certain ones do a search and see if they really need to be running.
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

well just did fresh reinstall again with nothing except windows with GPU and directx up to date and disabled Network Throttling and then installed DOD:S shuttering still there i guss it is because i am using a tri-core not dual or quad. so i might got some issue with game compatibility with my CPU issue since i find nothing wrong except when my screen freeze one of my core usage went up to 90% instead of around 20-30 percent.
i am going to turn off the multcore rendering and give a shot tomorrow.
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

ya i got it fixed finally it is muilt-core rendering... :dance:
Thanks for all the helps. i guss DODS have issue with tri-core.. :evil:
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

shuttering still there even with multicore rendering is off. so i am complete lost to this stupid thing now i guss i just have to live with it then.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Blink real fast and maybe that will off set the effects. :)
wafflemaker

Post by wafflemaker »

It has to be your video card issue, recent steam updates and transition of direct X for new video cards fucks with lot of old games that does not use direct x 11. check microsoft page for update fix on direct x end time user, thats how i fixed my shuttering.
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

i am not sure what "update fix on direct x end time user" you mean, i am at latest version of directx which is june 2010, and i didn't see any updates on Microsoft direct x site also if i remember correctly my card 9800GT only support up to directx 10 so if u have that fix could u email it to me?
liujeffqi@gmail.com
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

hey guys this is a follow up of my issue..
now i finally fixed shutter crap unintentionally... ya really that is right i didn't expect that at all since i give up already. next time i come cross same problem i will know to think outside the box

ok long story short
i get a new router replaced my 5 year old router and shuttering is gone...

ya this is what happened i guss might because its on the same Surge protector and when my pc fried it some how in a weird way effect it... that might also explain why my printer is acting funny some times now.

anyway without shuttering i am going to shoot all you guys back to stone age!!! j/k
i will see you in game some times
best
Appleseed(no sound)
Jeff