DeUltima Map Chooser

Suggest Maps to be added/removed, then comment and vote on them.
DeUltimaPunisher

DeUltima Map Chooser

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

Hey guys/gals,

For the last couple weeks, I've been working on a project which I hope will help increase our server population when admins are not around or willing to make map selections helping our server population.

I've basically been working on a system that will make automated map votes that are no longer just random, but based on a algorithm that will choose maps based on the number of players online, the time of day, and other such factors.

It's currently set to make choices based upon my personal preferences, but this selection is more than open for debate if you disagree with any maps given play on the server.
bobo-claus

Re: DeUltima Map Chooser

Post by bobo-claus »

Didn't even know something like that could be done. That is awesone! :dance:

BkW // ZtluhcS =HH=

Post by BkW // ZtluhcS =HH= »

Anzio and# towers LOL :twisted: :twisted:
RUNNING AND GUNNING HAVING FUN KILL KILL KILLING SINCE 9/2005
Frostbite

Post by Frostbite »

that's pretty awesome! Will definitely help get rid of those huge maps when no one is on
TheEmgee

Post by TheEmgee »

Sounds great but I'm afraid the server may play the same map consecutively or within a couple of hours. How are you making sure that there is still diversity in your automation? Will you able to share this data with us or is there somewhere I can see these daily map trends you are basing your algorithm on?

- Emgee
ChickenBong

Post by ChickenBong »

only thing is the same map keeps poping up so we replay maps over every 45 mins or so...No if we can fix that it would be great..And good job,,,punisher.. :dance:
@ first i didnt like it but ive started getting use to it... :mrgreen:
raoul

Post by raoul »

A weird thing happened last night with it though. We were playing Jagd the map vote came up, Jagd was number 2 on the list and of course, it won the vote, meaning that 2 has become the new 1 and that there are too many people who don't have a clue about the map names. :text-lol:

Raoul

:violence-uzi:
bobo-claus

Post by bobo-claus »

raoul wrote:A weird thing happened last night with it though. We were playing Jagd the map vote came up, Jagd was number 2 on the list and of course, it won the vote, meaning that 2 has become the new 1 and that there are too many people who don't have a clue about the map names. :text-lol:

Raoul

:violence-uzi:
That has happened before when I was playing and the map was Flash. It came up in the vote. Weird!

Coupon

Post by Coupon »

does nominate not work anymore? :think:
Parabola

Post by Parabola »

Few issues with the new map voting.

Nominating doesn't work - it pulls up the menu and lets you select a map, but it doesn't come up during the map voting.

Current map can show in map voting options - If you're on Jagd, it can come up with an option to vote for Jagd and to extend the map, so 2 of the 5 options are the same map and 1 is a false option so 50% of the options are the current map.

Lack of diversity in the map options - You can play the same 3 maps repeatedly it seems like, before there was a limit to how often they could be played.

People are stupid - Full server and people pick a stock map, I like stock maps just as much as the next person but playing Avalanche and Anzio for the 4980483483th time gets old.

Overall I like the idea of the new voting system, but in its current state it's broken. I know only so much can be fixed, and some of it is my opinion but I hope the feedback helps.
chevychase36

Post by chevychase36 »

I know! Have ghetto mcdonalds pop up on every choice! Jk. Nice work Punisher!
[flash=][/flash]Lucky Luciano
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Any and all admins have the power to set the next map. If you see poor choices or you want to play a map then set the next map. Just do not try to abuse it. Sometimes I ask regulars what map they want to play. It makes them feel that they are part of the server when we do stuff like that. Once and a while I kick the wrong person and then I give them the next map to make up for it.
GeneralLeePizdov

Post by GeneralLeePizdov »

It seems to work, for the most part..But, as with all servers, the average player just hits #1. After awhile they realize their mistake and start just hitting #2. :lol: As long as there is a map vote system, there will be repeats.
The system you have set up works better than most of the attempts I have seen, so, keep up the great work! :clap:
As P.T.Barnum said,"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all the people some of the time, But, never all the people all the time!" ( you can insert please for fool, and you get my drift).

Carry On, The General