Canadian Crime

General discussions
Kriegs<>Schwein

Canadian Crime

Post by Kriegs<>Schwein »

This is Canada's answer to big crime. :lol: Ontario cop accused in cheese-smuggling operation charged with breach of bail
at 17:56 on April 23, 2013, EDT.
The Canadian Press
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services
ST.CATHARINES, - A southern Ontario police officer charged in a cross-border cheese-smuggling scheme last fall has been arrested again after investigators say he breached the conditions of his bail.
Niagara Regional Police say Const. Scott Heron, 39, was charged Monday with breach of recognizance for allegedly violating a condition related to the use of a cellphone or other communication device.
Police say Heron is restricted to one cellphone he must register with authorities and for which he must provide detailed monthly statements. They did not say how he allegedly contravened the rule.
Heron and two others were charged in September after police uncovered what they described as a "large-scale" scheme to smuggle cheese and other food products into Canada from the U.S.
His co-accused were Casey Langelaan, 48, who was a police officer at the time of the alleged offences, and Bernie Pollino, 44.
Police say the items were purchased in the U.S. and brought across the border without paying duties, then prepared for distribution to restaurants in southern Ontario.
Police say the investigation revealed over $200,000 worth of cheese and other products were purchased and distributed for an estimated profit of more than $165,000.
Splatted!!!!!

Re: Canadian Crime

Post by Splatted!!!!! »

That is a lot of cheese. Kinda funny that it is big crime, should take a vacation in Canada sounds like a cheesy place to be. Bah... Bump .... :lol:
Ruin

Post by Ruin »

DeUltimaPunisher

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

The real crime here is that the Canadian government over protects our domestic cheese industry creating artificially high prices to Canadian consumers. The average markup compared to the world market is about 10-20% which is why these guys saw an opportunity to profit from helping reduce this artificially high cost to the poor restaurant owners who willingly gobble it up.

A good example is pizzerias who can spend around $20,000 a month on mozzarella alone. In the US the average cost of cheese on a pizza is about 50%, but here in Canada it's 70-80% of the total production cost. Then you throw in the fact that large frozen pizza makers are allowed to circumvent these rules and import cheaper cheese from the US doesn't help create a fair and level playing field at all.

In the end these 3 people are charged and treated like drug traffickers just for moving cheese across the border. Then again we are not the only ones cracking down on silly things crossing the border. If you try to bring one of Canada's favourite children's chocolate treats, Kinder Surprise Eggs, into the states, be prepared to be treated as a drug trafficker as well. If you're lucky, you will get off with your eggs being seized and a warning, but I've heard of nightmare cases where people were full on charged and or fined up to $2500. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/new ... 052012.xml That's right America, securing your border's from the dangers of Canadian children's chocolate.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Dairy is subsidized in the US. It is part of the farm bill. If it wasn't we would be seeing around the same prices.
bmh

Post by bmh »

Mongo wrote:Daily is subsidized in the US. It is part of the farm bill. If it wasn't we would be seeing around the same prices.
What is this "Daily" that you speak of? I know that I'm getting old but that wasn't a food group the last time I checked. :lol:
I die a lot!

penis
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

You are getting old. You vision is off.
bmh

Post by bmh »

No. My "pre edit" vision is just fine. :P
I die a lot!

penis
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

bmh wrote:No. My "pre edit" vision is just fine. :P
LOL fucking chrome missed what was intended. I guess I should not be writing 3 emails at the same time as posting on the forums. :D