Trojan/Virus Processes?

Discuss issues or anything you need help with here. Please keep it computer/game related.
Crazy Bulgarian

Trojan/Virus Processes?

Post by Crazy Bulgarian »

I noticed 3 different processes running on my task manager.

csrss.exe
lsass.exe
smss.exe

From a search on http://www.processlibrary.com to identify their purpose, there are two different answers.
One answer is from Microsoft Corp indicating these processes are critical for the functionality of the OS (XP PRO SP3).
Other sources (from unknown authors) say these processes are likely Trojans or Viruses. With the purpose of stealing sensitive information, for credit card fraud and identity theft.

Microsoft says their normal location is in C/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32. I did a search on all 3 files. And found 2 locations for each. One location is C/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32, and the other location is C/WINDOWS/SERVICEPACKFILES/i386.

Scanned both locations of each type with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. None of the files came up as malicious or infected.

Do I have anything to worry about? I find it kind of strange that there is two locations for each file. However, it seems the 2nd location may have been created during the SP3 update.

What say you?
Crazy Bulgarian

Re: Trojan/Virus Processes?

Post by Crazy Bulgarian »

Forgot to add....

I also have 7 processes of svchost.exe running.
3 are labeled SYSTEM
2 are labeled NETWORK SERVICE
2 are labeled LOCAL SERVICE

Some sources say these could also be Trojans or Viruses. However, none of the 7 show any signs of corruption when scanned with MSE or Malwarebytes.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

pretty much have all the same things you do bulgarian. and as far as i can tell those are fine. though, my computer has been running a little slower recently...but i attribute that to a virus i got a while ago, and instead of reformatting, i did a recovery from one of my good save points before that. pretty sure my shit's fuked though. but NOT because of the .exe programs you listed.

maybe someone with a bit more of computer know-how could shed some light on the issue though.
-Sarge.Xr

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Those are all crucial windows files. Do not remove them.
Trebgod

Post by Trebgod »

Mongo wrote:Those are all crucial windows files. Do not remove them.
what he said