Can't see sprays (SOLVED I hope)

Discuss issues or anything you need help with here. Please keep it computer/game related.
bmh

Can't see sprays (SOLVED I hope)

Post by bmh »

I can't see players sprays while playing the game. I have Googled for help and other than finding several topics on the same problem (seems to affect all HL2 based games but only certain people) I have been unable to solve the issue on my PC using everything offered as a possible solution - including uninstalling and reinstalling the game. I did see on one site where if a server was set to sv_pure 2 they won't show but I don't think that's the case here because others can see sprays fine. After asking in-game it appears that many others have this problem and have pretty much given up on trying to find a fix. I'm just wondering if any of you have any ideas on how to fix this. BTW, I can see MY sprays just fine. All I see is the "sprayed by so-and-so" message when I happen to pass by other sprays.

My specs (in case this might be a hardware issue):
AMD Phenom X4 3.2 Ghz
Sapphire HD 6850 card with all settings on default
4 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home 64-bit
Fresh install of Day of Defeat
Idiot with mouse attached to right hand (penis sometimes in left)

HELP!!!
Last edited by bmh on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I die a lot!

penis
Sarge

Re: Can't see sprays

Post by Sarge »

if i remember right there was some sort of command in console you could type to help that issue, cause i had it with mine i could see a few random sprays, but a lot including my own i couldn't...however i cant remember what the command is...sv_pure i think applies to players as well as servers, so maybe mess with that in-game and see if it does anything.
-Sarge.Xr

bmh

Post by bmh »

There was no sv_pure setting in my config file and I seem to recall that being a server setting. Correct me if I'm wrong...

If set to 1, the server will force all client files except the whitelisted ones (in pure_server_whitelist.txt) to match the server. If set to 2, then pure_server_whitelist.txt is ignored and all content files come from Steam.

I added sv_pure 0 to my config and still nothing. :(

Steam really pisses me off at times! :evil:
I die a lot!

penis
Doeshk

Post by Doeshk »

I think the command is r_decals 300 or r_decals 200
ImageImage
bmh

Post by bmh »

So I found my problem but the solution isn't permanent. For some reason every time I start DOD it changes cl_allowdownload from "1" back to "0". If I manually enter in the command when I start the game it works fine and I see sprays. Does anyone know if making the cfg file read-only messes anything up? I want to make that setting permanent and it is the only way I know how.
I die a lot!

penis
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

try setting the setting in your config file.
bmh

Post by bmh »

I do that and every time I start the game it changes it back for some reason. That's why I asked if making it read-only would work or will it mess up my game?
I die a lot!

penis
bmh

Post by bmh »

Well, for some reason it has fixed itself. After several dozen times it finally remembered or maybe a Steam update fixed it. Another Steam mystery...
I die a lot!

penis