So boring

General discussions
Mongo

So boring

Post by Mongo »

My job on Saturdays is so boring. :sleeping-sleeping:
It used to be fun until I decided to manage the office. I did get a $4 an hour raise though. :D
Only bad thing is I can't get things done in the labs. So when I do work during the week it is me running around like Corky to get things done.
Because of our new LMS we do not get nearly as many calls or problems so I spend most of my time dinking around waiting for something to come up. Even when something does come up it takes a minute to deal with.
Only an hour left. :dance:
Kriegs<>Schwein

Re: So boring

Post by Kriegs<>Schwein »

Laptop + DOD = :D
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Kriegs<>Schwein wrote:Laptop + DOD = :D
Playing DOD on laptop at work= no job.
BkW // ZtluhcS =HH=

Post by BkW // ZtluhcS =HH= »

Mongo wrote:
Kriegs<>Schwein wrote:Laptop + DOD = :D
Playing DOD on laptop at work= no job.
Welcome to management lol :twisted: :twisted:
RUNNING AND GUNNING HAVING FUN KILL KILL KILLING SINCE 9/2005
Johnny Tapia

Post by Johnny Tapia »

Mongo wrote:My job on Saturdays is so boring. :sleeping-sleeping:
It used to be fun until I decided to manage the office. I did get a $4 an hour raise though. :D
Only bad thing is I can't get things done in the labs. So when I do work during the week it is me running around like Corky to get things done.
Because of our new LMS we do not get nearly as many calls or problems so I spend most of my time dinking around waiting for something to come up. Even when something does come up it takes a minute to deal with.
Only an hour left. :dance:
Ahh, I only work Mon - Fri :dance:
SEMPER FIDELIS!
One-Eye Ernie

Post by One-Eye Ernie »

Mongo, I worked in the tech industry for over 25 years and there were occasions when I had time on my hands. Like it was mentioned before, cruising ESPN.com or playing DOD could be a CLM (career limiting move). I would look into some open source type software tools that you could play with. Something that might be related to you job and/or tech environment. If anyone checks over your shoulder as to what you're doing, you could say you're researching or testing (xyz problem or technology) that's related to your work environment. If it doesn't bother management then it gives you an opportunity to learn sometime new and enhance your resume. On one occasion when I was a Software QA Manager at a small start-up, our product was in a customized client/server architecture. A developer and I installed Apache and an open source Load Balancer to see if we could get better response times from our software. I'd never messed around with Load Balancers before so it was kind of fun and it was related to our work.
Johnny Tapia

Post by Johnny Tapia »

One-Eye Ernie wrote:Mongo, I worked in the tech industry for over 25 years and there were occasions when I had time on my hands. Like it was mentioned before, cruising ESPN.com or playing DOD could be a CLM (career limiting move). I would look into some open source type software tools that you could play with. Something that might be related to you job and/or tech environment. If anyone checks over your shoulder as to what you're doing, you could say you're researching or testing (xyz problem or technology) that's related to your work environment. If it doesn't bother management then it gives you an opportunity to learn sometime new and enhance your resume. On one occasion when I was a Software QA Manager at a small start-up, our product was in a customized client/server architecture. A developer and I installed Apache and an open source Load Balancer to see if we could get better response times from our software. I'd never messed around with Load Balancers before so it was kind of fun and it was related to our work.
:clap:
SEMPER FIDELIS!
NiPPleTwEEk

Post by NiPPleTwEEk »

Well it could be worse mongo, but I would look into what ernie is talking about. if you do have that much time then I say go for it, it wouldn't hurt to learn right. now get back to work whore. :lol:
Splatted!!!!!

Post by Splatted!!!!! »

Gratz on management.... Never pictured Mongo as a manager.... "Manager Mongo" sounds good with a $4 dollar raise :D Good luck in your new adventure. 8-)
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I never said I was a manager. You guys need to learn to read. Managing the office and being a manager is different.
I have been a manager in the past. I was actually an executive manager for a company before I joined the military. It was back in the Midwest so I didn't have as many whinny girly men as I see out here in the Pacific Northwest. :D
One-Eye Ernie

Post by One-Eye Ernie »

Yes, Yes, we know, we know. The Midwest! Where MEN are MEN, and sheep are nervous.
Kriegs<>Schwein

Had a flash back to a Steinfeld show . You proablly could do the same thing as Kastansa did . He got a carpenter to build a small room under his desk where he could hide and do the shit he wanted to .he would come out now and then and appear to be very busy . :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Wi1KA#t=3s
Splatted!!!!!

Post by Splatted!!!!! »

My bad, well gratz on managing the office, I just assumed a manager would manage the office. :roll: It still pays more :D
BkW // ZtluhcS =HH=

Mongo wrote:I never said I was a manager. You guys need to learn to read. Managing the office and being a manager is different.
I have been a manager in the past. I was actually an executive manager for a company before I joined the military. It was back in the Midwest so I didn't have as many whinny girly men as I see out here in the Pacific Northwest. :D
Manager oh a office manager like clerks or parks and recreation or workaholics :twisted: :twisted:
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I do not report to the office manager. Good thing too, she is incompetent and knows nothing of how to do my job. My boss is the Special Assistant Program Manager/Coordinator and above his is the Executive Director(Dean). So it is funny when other managers try to tell me what to do. I look at them and let them know they need to have one of their people do it or contact my boss and coordinate it with him. LOL
I have really lucked out because my office is at the other end of the education center(school) and no one comes down unless they need something. I have 2 labs, multiple COWs(computers on wheels), laptop labs and two other rooms for instructors and science lab stuff. I also have about 6 other servers to monkey with. I find plenty of work so when I come in on Sat. All I do is sit around and wait for instructors or students to come in and ask questions. It gets pretty boring and after about 2 hours or researching PC related stuff I get bored.
Don't get me wrong I like my job but after 7 years it would be nice to get it full time.
Kriegs<>Schwein

Hey Mongo when the underlings come to tell you what or how to do something tell them to refer to as MR.UBER. So they will know who is the real boss. :dance:
BkW // ZtluhcS =HH=

So your working at the schools IT help desk, I call those dudes a couple times a month with stupid questions about computer stuff maybe ill just start calling you.. :twisted: :twisted: :clap:
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

No, I do not work at the helpdesk. My job is more than that.
I train instructors on the LMS and help them with problems they run into when developing their courses. I also help students when they have account issues through the LMS.
I also run all the virtual servers and online courses for our computer courses. I run and maintain the computer labs and coordinate with the instructors if they need special software or requests.
I am pretty much the go to for any tech related stuff in the military program at the college. I am separate from IT.
One-Eye Ernie

Post by One-Eye Ernie »

All that responsibility doesn't mean shit. Mongo still would like to hear all your stupid questions Shultzie. :think:
BkW // ZtluhcS =HH=

UBER-HELPDESK :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

BkW // ZtluhcS =HH= wrote:UBER-HELPDESK :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I am more on the proactive side not the reactive side. I make it so people will have to call helpdesk less. :D
NiPPleTwEEk

Post by NiPPleTwEEk »

So I have this computer question... I have been wanting to have sex with my tower since the very first day I had her. is there a way I can jimmy rig a hose to the air intake fans and the computer can suck me off real good. thanks for your time uber helpdesk and I would like to hear from you asap.

:obscene-buttred:
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

NiPPleTwEEk wrote:So I have this computer question... I have been wanting to have sex with my tower since the very first day I had her. is there a way I can jimmy rig a hose to the air intake fans and the computer can suck me off real good. thanks for your time uber helpdesk and I would like to hear from you asap.

:obscene-buttred:

Duct tape a flesh light to it and then have your way. :o
tez

Post by tez »

I train instructors on the LMS
Oh hey, we just killed off our in-house training system where I work and I've started porting (well actually rebuilding) our stuff to scorm 2.0 compliant modules for LMS. I was building the training modules from scratch before with final cut pro, html and flash, but we just purchased Articulate Storyline. I think the toughest part will be getting HR to help with building the training. Those guys aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.
Splatted!!!!!

Post by Splatted!!!!! »

Off subject, that is a wicked little trap. :shock:
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

The state went to Canvas and we are very happy with it. Students love it and the instructors are adjusting very well. Even the older ones.