Camping Gear...any good reviews out there?

General discussions
CMDRRABB

Camping Gear...any good reviews out there?

Post by CMDRRABB »

I occassionaly like to camp from time to time and just get away from all the shit in the world. I've been from the Carolina's to the Pacific NW and I pick up gear here and there. I just curious if any of you out there do the same and if you have come across any really "bitch'n" gear you feel you can't camp without. I'm going on a 5 day backpacking/camping stint up in the Kettle Morain area (Wisconsin) at the end of May and thought I'd throw some feelers out there for new equipment (gadget's basically I've already got the basic's) to try.
[img]http://blitzkrieg.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/324_random.png[/img]
Crypt-keeper

Re: Camping Gear...any good reviews out there?

Post by Crypt-keeper »

Not camping stuff but a great place to go backpacking is Isle Royale it is an island that is on Lake Superior. Great place to backpack though.
Cap n Smash

Post by Cap n Smash »

If you dont mind shopping online Coast Mountain CO-OP has wicked deals.
http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp?bmUID=1272646484359
:character-beavisbutthead:
I have to go to Coast Mountain because I am hoping to go on a week long hike in July, probably somewhere past Chilliwack BC. If you find any cool and usefull gadgets let me know so I can go pick em up before I go hiking.
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
If you done it, it ain't bragging.
Walt Whitman
CMDRRABB

Post by CMDRRABB »

I have the Kelty Mummy bag, love it. Black Diamond lights I have found to be great, I have the Orbit, Apollo and Gizmo. They all come in very handy and give off ample amount of light. I've got the Jetboil stove, Personal Flash model, for the food(you can cook soups, but watch burning them). It's basically a water boiler for hydrated food (Mountain House). Water kit is the MSR MiniWorks EX. Simple to use. Don't use treking poles so I couldn't tell you about them.
I know this is a little over doing it, but I have the Coleman Water Boundry 6 tent. I usally go by myself, but if someone does come along there's plenty of room. I like the fact that I can set it up (like a base camp) by myself and there's enough room for all my crap so I don't have to make trips to the vehicle all the time.
Got the "old" Garmin hiker, had it for about 5 years now (monochrome screen), but it was free so I still use it.
Usually take the Beretta 950 and Ruger Mark II for fun.

I'll check out that site Cap, and thanks. If I get anything I'll let you know.
nokill

Post by nokill »

Cap n Smash wrote:If you dont mind shopping online Coast Mountain CO-OP has wicked deals.
http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp?bmUID=1272646484359
:character-beavisbutthead:
ya man, MEC is good quality stuff. i buy all my biking gear, camping gear, backpacks and and winter wear there. i've never tried the online store but all their stuff seems to be top notch and i've never had a problem returning anything. definitely not bargain shopping though.
Cap n Smash

Post by Cap n Smash »

ya man, MEC is good quality stuff. i buy all my biking gear, camping gear, backpacks and and winter wear there. i've never tried the online store but all their stuff seems to be top notch and i've never had a problem returning anything. definitely not bargain shopping though.[/quote]

Yeah definately not your bargin basement store but it is high quality. And i perfer high quality when out in the middle of no where. Hey nokill where do you live. if its BC let me know if there are any good hikes you know of! :)
If you done it, it ain't bragging.
Walt Whitman
nokill

Post by nokill »

well i grew up in the interior, penticton to be exact, and there was plenty of good hiking there: ellis creek, vaseaux lake, white lake (my fav), etc. all about a 15-30 minute drive away (there are benefits to small towns). but i've moved out to van recently and have yet to do much hiking.
i went out to cypress falls a few months ago...gorgeous, and i can only imagine how much better it would be in the summer months. short hike though, only about an hour an a bit. though my wife and i are into photography so we can stretch that out into a good couple hours. oh! we did tofino as well. stayed at a resort and hiked a couple trails out there. id love to retire there someday.

im going camping at harrison lake at the end of may, i'll let ya know if a find some good trails way out there.

idleback lake, penticton.
shoulda been called leech lake actually.
obligatory beer shot
CMDRRABB

Post by CMDRRABB »

Just picked up a new pair of Merrell boots. Man are they comfy. My old pair of Timberland's finally gave out.
These only ran me 145 bucks, well worth it.

Phaser Peak Hiking Boots got em at REI.
Cloak&Ðᾂᶃᶃɚᶉ

Post by Cloak&Ðᾂᶃᶃɚᶉ »

this is my bench made, it has never led me wrong. you need a nice knife i suggest such a knife. Image
CMDRRABB

Post by CMDRRABB »

Kershaw Trooper....I picked this up in a gun store I used to manage in Chicago several years ago. I use it camping, although several states classify this as a double edged blade and make them illegal, I've never been question about it.
Sorry, didn't crop the pic's.
Zooks24

Post by Zooks24 »

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com not a bad site might have a few things youll like
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
~George S. Patton~
Cloak&Ðᾂᶃᶃɚᶉ

Post by Cloak&Ðᾂᶃᶃɚᶉ »

nice looks like a comfortable shank ;)