Rhapsody songs to itunes?

Discuss issues or anything you need help with here. Please keep it computer/game related.
lilchub

Rhapsody songs to itunes?

Post by lilchub »

i was wondering if anybody has any idea how to do this succesfully. ive also heard about torrents, but dont know how to use it. anyway if you guys have info on how to get free music and put it on my ipod that would be great.
DeUltimaPunisher

Re: Rhapsody songs to itunes?

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

Step 1: Download uTorrent http://www.utorrent.com/
Step 2: Visit a torrent site like http://btjunkie.org
Step 3: Search for the Album you want
Step 4: Download the torrent file (a text file that tells uTorrent what to do)
Step 5: Choose to let uTorrent open it when your browser asks
Step 6: Wait for it to download
Step 7: Copy/Move the folder into your music folder
Step 8: Import into iTunes like with any other MP3s
Step 9: Sync with your iPod
Step 10: Enjoy

Torrent hints:
- Seeders are the # of people uploading
- Leaches are the # of people downloading.
- More seeders, means a faster download.
- BTjunkie is a good site for beginners, because it lets users flag files with a Green up arrow for good stuff, and a Red down arrow for bad stuff. If the number of green arrows in high, and no red arrows, it's usually a good download.
- When searching for music, look for the Whole Album not the Songs (You can choose to download whatever songs you want from the album if you like)
- Go into Preferences>Bandwidth and set your Maximum upload rate to no more than 1/2 of your total upload speed offered by your ISP service, or you could experience lag issues. (I have it set to 34 Kb/s as I limit it to 1/3 of my total upload speed of 1Mb/s)
- Now go to Preferences>Queuing and set your Ratio to 100% and make sure the check box is checked for "Limit the upload rate to (kB/s):, and that it's set to 0 (Stop) That will make sure a torrent stops once it uploads an equal amount, or it will continue to seed until you remove the torrent manually.
COUGAR_BAIT

Post by COUGAR_BAIT »

utorrent is BAD
lilchub

Post by lilchub »

COUGAR_BAIT wrote:utorrent is BAD
why is utorrent bad?
DeUltimaPunisher

Don't listen to him, he's a little retarded. :banana-rainbow:
lilchub

Post by lilchub »

DeUltimaPunisher wrote:Don't listen to him, he's a little retarded. :banana-rainbow:
noted
COUGAR_BAIT

Post by COUGAR_BAIT »

DeUltimaPunisher wrote:Don't listen to him, he's a little retarded. :banana-rainbow:

I listen to Evil! He knows more than I! He told me no to use it, it's bad (he said a bunch of computer talk...so i spaced out and took another drag of my cigarette)

STFU you bloody fucking American
DeUltimaPunisher

COUGAR_BAIT wrote:I listen to Evil! He knows more than I! He told me no to use it, it's bad (he said a bunch of computer talk...so i spaced out and took another drag of my cigarette)

STFU you bloody fucking American
Unless you're an ISP, could you explain exactly what is wrong with using Torrents? I have never met a single person in IT who doesn't torrent themselves. It's the fastest and most efficient way of downloading files today. There could be new technologies emerging as we speak, but for now it's best we got.

Not only is the technology superior to any other file downloading protocol out there, but the way files are downloaded off of forum type websites is the biggest advantage in my opinion. You can easily check to see what others have to say about things like the quality, or if anyone has run into any viruses hidden away in the download.

The only downside is that ISPs hate it, because when you torrent you are uploading too. So they try things like sending you letters to scare you into stopping, and or limiting your connection speeds. This is why I recommenced setting your upload limit for no more than 1/2 your rated speed. 1/3 like my setup is even better, that way you don't draw attention to you connection from you ISP in the first place.

Other methods to stay undetected are to turn on / force encryption, run through a proxy server (costs money), only torrent at night, and change your listen port to a random port regularly.

I have been torrenting for years, and have never received a single complaint from my ISP. I can guarantee it's because I do some of these simple things to avoid drawing attention to myself.

But I know you believe everything Evil says to you while you lie together in the tent on a certain mountain. :crying-pink:

Stupid ignorant European :character-bart:
lilchub

Post by lilchub »

allright, but i live in an apartment complex where the internet comes standard to the rooms so i dont know what my connection is.... what should i do?
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Torrents are a gateway for infection: viruses, spyware, malware, etc. It also promotes illegal file sharing. I would hate to know any of those IT people you know. They sound very unethical and I wouldn't want them to work for me.
How would you like to do work on a project and not get paid for it?
Unless you are downloading freeware or shareware and you scan the shit out of every file, I don't see an issue with it. But that is not its intentions.
COUGAR_BAIT

Post by COUGAR_BAIT »

Mongo wrote:Torrents are a gateway for infection: viruses, spyware, malware, etc. It also promotes illegal file sharing. I would hate to know any of those IT people you know. They sound very unethical and I wouldn't want them to work for me.
How would you like to do work on a project and not get paid for it?
Unless you are downloading freeware or shareware and you scan the shit out of every file, I don't see an issue with it. But that is not its intentions.
^^ Exactly what I said ^_^

And there are faster ways..newsgroups..

European ... really? my family comes from Ireland you pussy ass Frenchi!!
DeUltimaPunisher

You know how you're getting old Mongo? When you start rejecting the most popular and efficient technologies due to ignorance and an unwillingness to learn.
Mongo wrote:Torrents are a gateway for infection: viruses, spyware, malware, etc.
Just turning on your computer and plugging it into a network is a gateway for infection. Everything you do on the internet opens a door to some sort of infection. As someone in IT, you should know the top method of infection is email attachments and fake popups on the Web. Should we also never open Outlook, or Firefox again?

The fact is, Torrenting is one of the safest ways to avoid downloading infections. As I stated before, Torrent sites are setup like forums, where people talk about the files within the torrents. If it's a fake, poor quality or infected, people will warn you. Stop trying to control people with wimpy little scare tactics. Stay alert and you will avoid infections.
Mongo wrote:It also promotes illegal file sharing.
Torrenting is a file downloading technology, it's not an organization promoting anything. It just so happens that it is the most popular and efficient file downloading technology around, of course the pirates have moved over. Before this it was Gnutella (Napster & Limewire), before that it was FTP, Newsgroups & IRC.
Mongo wrote:I would hate to know any of those IT people you know. They sound very unethical and I wouldn't want them to work for me.
You see because most Pirates are young computer enthusiasts (future IT workers) that can't afford to pay thousands of dollars to play with and learn all the software out there. They build these communities to help each other out, and of course your future IT workers need to learn this shit somewhere, what do you think that young kid you just hired who knows Server 2008 Enterprise inside and out payed $10,000 just to learn it? Get real, he torrented it, installed it and practiced everything he knows today. A lot of these Enterprise packages cost thousands of dollars, how do you honestly think these kids learn this stuff? THEY PLAY WITH IT!

In my college class every single student was into torrenting, ALL OF THEM! Not a single one of them wasn't pirating something, my teachers even acknowledged this as a learning resource. I honestly can't believe you live in some fantasy bro where this not the case. All I can say is reality check time, and if no one you know uses it, they are either 1. lying to you, cause they know your ignorant towards it or 2. they are old fucks like you. LMFAO
Mongo wrote:How would you like to do work on a project and not get paid for it?
That argument is getting old with me, as it doesn't matter how much money I spend on a piece of software. The programmers who did all the work don't get paid by royalty, they are hourly/wage workers for a larger corporations who makes the real money while they throw enough peanuts at them to keep them working.

In my option Software should be Free to all "end users" I'm totally down for charging for support and enterprise fees, as that's where the real money is anyhow. The future is Freeware (Not free as in Free Beer, but as in FREEdom) and Open Source software. Mozilla doesn't seem to have a problem pulling in millions off of Firefox alone, software that I may remind you is totally free to end users.

As for Music and Movies, the current use of Gnutella & Torrent to as they say illegally download them was self created by the industry. When Napster first came out, they had a a chance to harness its power for profit, but instead smashed the bee hive. They actually caused multiple replacements like the once popular Limewire to pop up everywhere decentralizing the problem instead.

Here in Canada we are working on a realistic solution to this problem. Here 1.6 billion music files were downloaded, on iTunes price model of 99 cents per download, that's about 1.6 billion in lost revenue.

Here's the scary part only 38 million downloads were legally purchased. The ratio of shared to paid downloads is 98:2 (98% shared files vs. 2% purchased downloads). Now does this actually mean 98% of down-loaders are criminals? Should we all of a sudden jail 98% of the population? I say "NO!", when 98% of people are doing something, it's time to change the model, not the laws and force people to stop what is obviously natural.

The Solution:

The only real solution is to tax the media usage, like they do in some cases for blank CD-R and DVD-RW. A lot of thought has gone into the idea of charging a $5/month tax on all high-speed internet connections. This would bring in 500 million - 1 Billion a year. This money would be distributed like it is with the radio station taxes, where they actually hire people to monitor radio stations. They then cut them a royalty cheque based on how often their songs get air play. A similar system could be used for peer to peer downloads as well, solving the issue. It's too bad giant greedy corporations would rather keep 98% of the population labeled as criminals. Short term profits are more important than a real long term solution for the good of the people.

I simple refuse to believe 98% of Internet users are criminals, it's stupid to be repeating dumb-ass brainwashing mantras started by the true evil here (Money hungry corporations). If they are losing any money, it's only because they refuse to get with the times. They want to go back to the good old days when they had complete power over the media.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Fucking liberals want everything for free.
I reject your statement because I am in the field and see what bad things can happen when you torrent and steal software...and yes it is stealing. They may not be "promoting" it but they are allowing it.
Software should not be free. Someone made it. If someone made it free for distribution then that's one thing.
I do know how to use current software and I do keep up worth technology. I also don't jump up and down when apple comes out with their new line of crap.
Most of your fellow techy classmates may have been doing a lot of things but they don't manage shit. Having to test software and finding out the best implementations for those technologies and presenting them to my boss is a little more work than downloading the latest burned movie off the Internet for free.
I use products like deepfreeze to not allow dumb ass students and instructors from infecting our labs. And the worst part is reading the pages and pages of licensing that goes along with it and you people do not realize the penalties if you do have illegal software. And yes most the stuff you download is illegal based on the means of acquiring it.
Main reason I do not use illegal software is because I am liable to lose my job from it. I don’t know what unethical companies you run up there, but I try to keep our college out of legal issue. I spend a lot of time and get paid handsomely to ensure we do not break any rules. I also have to check up on them because these companies like to change their license agreements regularly. Just two months ago I had to redo all our labs with software that changes resolutions automatically because windows won’t make resolution a part of a user profile. It is a machine setting. So the current software decided that it will not be free for educational applications. So I had to find another. And yes it was free and I am not using it illegally. 

And sorry to burst your bubble but most software manufactures allow a trial period for you to learn the software. Even Microsoft will give you a 6 month trial on all their server products. If you can’t learn what you need in 6 months. Well figure it out.
And if they have access to MSDN and are Microsoft certified then they will have that access too. So don’t give me shit about a “techy has to obtain stuff illegally so he can learn to use it”. That is bullshit and they are just making excuses.
People are too lazy and stupid to stay alert to stop the infection. I am not complaining too much because of their stupidity I can afford many many things. :)

Yeah the money hungry corporations need to get with the times like us hipsters in Canada. I can almost see you waving you hippy flags from here.

As for your idea of managing and making profit off of those downloads, I agree with you. And yes, the way the laws are set up now, those 98% are criminals. Don’t get mad at me about it, blame our copy rite laws. And yes other companies do fall within those laws because of international copyright treaties and convention.
DeUltimaPunisher

I love you Mongo! LMFAO :character-oldtimer:
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I guess we can just agree to disagree. :)
Shakira

Post by Shakira »

Torrenting
Just learn about your torrents and why they are amazing
i do not condone the use of it but if its there and people are saying USE IT
then hell use it up get your internets worth eh eh catch my drift ya :D