HELP MY COMP DIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss issues or anything you need help with here. Please keep it computer/game related.
grimmy

HELP MY COMP DIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by grimmy »

So while i was loading dod it froze up. So i turned off the power switch on
the tower. When i tried to reboot, it gave me a screen that said windows could not load. It would give me about 4 options that i could not highlight because my keyboard would not work. Anyways ill be down for awhile til i can get this fixed. It windows 2000 pro, so maybe it was just its time to die. If anyone has some ideas holla at your boy. :violin: :pray:
"Don't SWEAT the PETTY things, and don't PET the SWEATY things"
COUGAR_BAIT

Re: HELP MY COMP DIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by COUGAR_BAIT »

If you can get on Steam message Evil Empire he could help you!
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

take it, and chuck it out the window! if you have the cash though, might be time for an upgrade. check these guys out http://www.gotapex.com/, they tend to have pretty decent deals on hp's....if you dont mind getting an hp that is, otherwise, just build your own. but have you tried connecting another keyboard to see if its just your keyboard that's fuked? one of the more annoying thing about computers is checking every variable to see what the issue could be :(
-Sarge.Xr

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

LOL windows 2000 pro.
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

dont hate Mongo, lol, Ill try cougar, thnx
Stealth Albino

Post by Stealth Albino »

If it powers on, you get no magic smoke / sparks / etc., and you get an error about it not being able to boot to Windows, there probably isn't any physical damage done (probably a corrupted installation... which happens). I would try a reformat/reinstall if you can get there. If you don't have a copy of Windows, there are lots of open-source platforms out there you can download for free and you can play DoD:S from there.

And if you do wind up upgrading, you can always set that old rig up as a file server. :dance:

Feel free to drop me a line if you need further assistance bro. Be good to have ya back on.

Don't hate, Mongo. I still have a copy of Windows 98 I picked up from a stash of stuff slated for disposal. Shit's original, unopened, and has the certificate of authenticity. Fuck... I should put that shit in a shadowbox. :lol:
2e2-inside

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

just buy a MAC and all your problems go away
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

El Guapo wrote:just buy a MAC and all your problems go away
you will just get a ton more problems. every Mac we have had at my college has died within 2 years. just about every keyboard lasted the same.
we have clones that are ove 10 years and still no issues with them. saying Macs don't have problems is an idiot statement.

I am sure you meant that in a sarcastic way. :)
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

honestly, i still have my imac from the late 90's and aside from how slow the thing is, it still runs great, considering it's 12+ years old. not saying macs dont have problems...all computers do, but macs tend to have less issues than pc's. not sure how all the newer imacs are, but they used to be built to last. that being said, still love pc's for the customization, a lot easier to switch out the internals of a pc vs a mac, but the blue screen of death is something that's rarely seen on macs...at least in my personal experience...just sayin...
-Sarge.Xr

grimmy

Post by grimmy »

UPDATE!!! I took comp to fix it guy and found out it was the hard drive. Since its only a year old he will replace it if it cant be repaired so Mon or Tues i should be back killn you dudes. :pray:
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

year old computer and it has 2000 pro on it?
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

could be a clone...or grimmy might only have 2000 pro, or maybe he even prefers it to the newer OS's. jeeze, quit hatin mongo! :lol: :lol: i actually preferred to run 2000 pro for a while, until i had to switch up to xp cause i couldn't find my 2000pro disk after a reformat >.<
-Sarge.Xr

grimmy

Post by grimmy »

My bad its XP, but its been good to me. I'm from the school of thought,"If it ain't broke,don't fix it" Iwish i was cool as Mongo and new more about comps, but i'm too busy having fun and pimpin ho's and makin paper to bother. I keep capitalism alive by paying geek squad dudes like Mongo to do my bidding. :dance: But i still love you Mongo even after all that "Haterade" you drink. :o And thanks for backing me Sagre. :clap:
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

ooops meant to say "knew", better correct b4 Mongo goes off on me for grammar.
Stealth Albino

Post by Stealth Albino »

Haha. XP has taken on Win98's previous role--it works and some people just don't want to give it up. There's still a special place in my heart for XP Pro too. And of course a special place on my file server with an image if I ever feel like reinstalling it. 8-)
2e2-inside

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

What are you talking about Grimmy. I take jobs away from geek squad. Those guys are hacks.
Also I didn't get into computers until I was 21. I never owned one until then, mainly because I was running around fucking everything that moved and working.
You are not pimping shit. We all know you buy your women. LOL

it's= it is. It is wrong twice at beginning of the first sentence.
Space after I before wish.
Forgot to capitalize i
It should be: having fun, pimpin ho's and making paper to brother.
Again forgot to capitalize i
Never start a sentence with "and"

LOL
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

WOW!!!!!!!..... :lol:
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

:)
bmh

Post by bmh »

420 posts. WTG Mongo! My favorite number. Image
I die a lot!

penis
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

OK here's the deal, the dude that i took my comp to says its fixed but wants $155 for it. Says he had to back up all my shit and re-installed windows and anti virus and a new sound card, which was working fine when i took it to him. Says a corrupt file was what fucked my shit up, HELP is this possible or is he fucking me?? And i don't want to hear any SHIT from you Mongo unless it's HELPFUL....
bmh

Post by bmh »

Wow. A "reinstaller". I hate people who fix everything that way. It's hard to tell if he really needs to go that far without knowing what he thinks is fucked up but I'm betting that he's looking for a less timely fix rather than trying to figure it out. The sound card thing sounds suspicious. :think:
I die a lot!

penis
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

That's what i'm thinking. As it stands right now, i either pay or he holds my comp captive, FUCK ME. Dammit Hypra where arenyou when i need you, hehehe. Oh well i guess i should pay the fucker or buy a whole new comp. This is why i wish one of you tech geeks lived closer. :D
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

So he did a restore with out you agreeing to it? sounds fishy. I always explain the options to my customers before going about it. I am sure he couldn't find drivers for your sound card so he figured or just said it was broken.
There are other ways to fix an OS without reinstalling. I have been very successful with windows restore on the os disk. it works real well with Vista and Windows7. XP is a little trickier but I have gotten it to work.
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

Ya Mongo, I think he got me this time. He said he looked for hours for the drivers for sound card but couldnt find them, so he charged me $20 (his price he says) for new one. On the bright side maybe now ill have the windows disk so next time maybe i can fix it using the disk. Next time ill consult you to see if there is an easier or less expensive solution.
DeUltimaPunisher

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

Okay I'm confused bro...

1. Didn't you say it was a Hard Drive issue and it would be replaced for free?

Well of course you have corrupted files if you were sold a faulty hard drive! I would never charge a customer to reinstall the OS/Software due to a faulty HD. That's technically a hardware failure, and as the original builder/seller of the computer I have a legal responsibly to restore your system to the same state as I gave it to you. As long as it was under warranty that is.

2. Did he advise before hand that he needed to backup your files and do a complete restore of your system?

After my "FREE" diagnostic, I give my customers all the options. Granted in most situations a total restore is cheaper and faster. But some users have software installed that can't be re-installed/replaced without buying it again, and or original install discs and serials. The fact is, I let my customers know everything I'm doing in advance, explain to them the cost and then follow through. You have to let your customers know enough to make an informed decision on what path they should take.

3. He charged you for a sound card because he couldn't find the drivers?

WTF? That's just insanity! Did the company that made the sound card go out of business? I find it very hard to believe that, sounds to me like he was just too lazy to find it then plopped in a used one he had lying around. You should not be charged for that, as there is obviously a driver out there, as your sound card worked before. It's not your fault he can't find it.

4. How much is he charging by the hour?

Judging by what you have said, this sounds like a 2 - 4 hour job for me. So at my rate of $40/hour that would be $80 - $160. IDK bro, all I want to really know is did you know you might be charged anything at all and if you had advanced knowledge of the repairs needed?

My last customer actually was a failing HD on her laptop corrupting files and getting BSODs. It took me just over 2 hours to backup her files, reinstall XP, install some basic software, and restore her files. I charged her $80, and called it a night. This guy is either a rookie or scamming ya bro, either way I would try to reduce that price as much as you can.

BTW, Unless you signed something, he has no legal right to withhold your computer system from you. The most he can legally do is bill you without a signed agreement. That's why I always get my customers to sign something before I take their system home with me.

5. What virus scanner and how much did he charge for it?

What was wrong with your old scanner? Once again, did he advice you before hand of this? In that example above, I gave my customer a copy of Panda Antivirus for FREE! I don't know a $10 virus scanner (AND tests show Panda is on the fastest and best detectors around) is something I like to give away to my customers to build loyalty. Then there are others out to make every buck they can, and try to sell you a rip-off of a scanner.

Typical thing for a rookie to do... They will buy a Norton 3 computer serial off paypal for like $20-$30. It will actually let you install it 6 times, so these guys know it costs like $50+ in store, and to act like they are doing you a favour by only charging you $40. I've seen it many times in the past.
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

Thanks for the info Pun. I just talked to the guy today. Here's the deal: I paid $65 up front. He said if he could fix the problem easily then that's all I would have to pay. Well we all know that never works out. He did say if he had to back up all my files and re-install windows and anti-virus then I would be charged additional monies. I don't have a problem with the additional charges but only if they are warranted. As far as the sound card goes he said it was corrupt and that's why it needed changing. He said it was a corrupted file and that it happens all the time. Somehow he found the file and blocked it or something?? But that it could happen again. Is this true?, even with anti virus and security software? Oh well I just want to play DoD again so I'll pay and get over it.

Thanks for all the help bro's. Cya soon :dance:

Cost to have Comp fixed: $235
Cost to play DoD again: Priceless
bmh

Post by bmh »

grimmy wrote: As far as the sound card goes he said it was corrupt and that's why it needed changing. He said it was a corrupted file and that it happens all the time.
Files can get corrupted. WTF is a corrupted sound card though? Never heard of that. There are sites all over the internet where you can locate drivers. I have yet to meet a piece of (working) hardware that I couldn't install. Tell him that you want all of your old parts if he really replaced them. I'm betting that the sound card is just fine if it was working before this guy got a hold of it - unless he fried it himself. He sounds like either a rip-off, an idiot, or both. Is this an actual repair shop doing the work or some know-it-all wannabe in his garage somewhere? Is the computer working now?

My advice for those who are not very computer savvy, if you have a college close by with an IT program, take it there. They are under the guidance of an instructor and will usually do the work for free as long as it doesn't involve any new parts and you have a disk with the OS. The students usually get a grade for the repair. I got a lot of extra credits that way myself. By my second year, I was fixing instructors computers and then their family members started bringing them in. I was overwhelmed for awhile but learned a lot in the process.

I'm not sure how old your PC is but I see new ones with Windows 7 and warranties for around $500 all of the time on reputable sales sites. Hell, even Best Buy or Future Shop (for you Canadians) have new ones around that price. At $235 to fix this one, you are already almost halfway there. Sorry about your luck.
I die a lot!

penis
DeUltimaPunisher

Post by DeUltimaPunisher »

grimmy wrote:Thanks for the info Pun. I just talked to the guy today. Here's the deal: I paid $65 up front. He said if he could fix the problem easily then that's all I would have to pay. Well we all know that never works out. He did say if he had to back up all my files and re-install windows and anti-virus then I would be charged additional monies. I don't have a problem with the additional charges but only if they are warranted. As far as the sound card goes he said it was corrupt and that's why it needed changing. He said it was a corrupted file and that it happens all the time. Somehow he found the file and blocked it or something?? But that it could happen again. Is this true?, even with anti virus and security software? Oh well I just want to play DoD again so I'll pay and get over it.

Thanks for all the help bro's. Cya soon :dance:

Cost to have Comp fixed: $235
Cost to play DoD again: Priceless
So he wants $235 to backup files, and restore your OS?!?

He's ripping you off big time bro! You could have paid for an Enterprise class on-site tech like me for $40 - $60 an hour. Corrupted file and he blocked it!? WTF are you talking about!?

This has BS written all over it... Tell him your brother in Vancouver is an Enterprise class computer tech, and thinks he is ripping you off. And you want him to contact me and explain everything he did in full detail. I will cut this guy to pieces if he's bull shit.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

where do you live grimmy?
grimmy

Post by grimmy »

Vegas baby. I trusted this guy because he built this comp and fixed my laptop, both @ a reasonable price. Sorry Pun, Mongo, next time ill consult with you before taking it to this dude. He actually owns the shop but has a kid in the back doing the work. He also told me that i could get a brand new system for $499, which since i already paid half for repairs maybe i should have. Anyway bros thanks for input and see you in-game soon. :D